Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Author Interview: Mel Chesley (M. L. Chesley)


Please tell us a little known fact about you.


I went to Clown School when I was a kid and was a member of 4-H.

What was your favorite genre to read growing up? Is this the genre you currently write in?


I used to read some fantasy when I was younger but I was more focused on horror. But I don't write horror, no.

What inspires you to write?

Just about anything. A good movie, music. I get flashes of inspiration while doing housework.

What sort of atmosphere do you need to write?

I have a writing playlist on my iTunes. It includes music from movie soundtracks like "Lord of the Rings", "Pirates of the Carribean", "King Arthur" and artists like Loreena McKennitt, Sarah MacLachlan, Peter Gabriel and a bunch of others. I also need it to be kind of quiet. If my family is up and moving about, I put the headphones on. Otherwise I am usually writing late at night.

What is your all time favorite book?

Hmm... "My Brother Sam is Dead" and "Island of the Blue Dolphins", "Watership Down" and of course "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings". Can't pick just one!

Who is your all time favorite character that is not your own?


Sioned from the "Dragon Prince" series by Melanie Rawn.

Who is your favorite character of your own creation?

Wow. It would have to be Kayta. She's the first character I ever created. She started out on paper Dungeons and Dragons.

When did you decide to become a writer?

When I was 19. I wrote for a bit, then got married and had kids when I was 22, 23 and ended up putting it off until much later.

Where are you from?

Originally, I was born in Chicago. But I spent so much time in Arizona, that's what I call home.

Why do you write?

Oh so many reasons! To shut the voices up in my head, to get my crazy ideas out of my brain. I write for therapy, I write for fun, I write to relax. But mostly to share my fun characters and wild imagination.

What’s the best piece of writing advice you have ever been given?

Just suck it up and write it.

What’s the worst thing someone has ever said about your work?

I don't really recall. I do know when I was posting some of my early work on Writing.com I had someone just rip into my stuff. Found out later on it was due to some jealousy. I viewed the person's portfolio and saw their low ratings and quality of their work. I called them on it, we talked through emails and ended up helping each other out.

Has your writing ever been compared to another, famous author? If so, who?


Actually yes. I'm totally humbled by it and it still amazes me to this day. I've had people tell me I write like Tolkien.

And last, but not least, something really random: What’s your favorite alcoholic drink?

Tequila! Straight up, baby. ;)

Where to find M. L. Chesley:


Facebook: www.facebook.com/mel.chesley

Twitter: @MLChesley

Blog: www.caledonialass.blogspot.com

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16282804-adversarius-shadow-of-the-rose-book-one

No comments:

Post a Comment