Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Author Interview: Hydra M. Star

1. Please tell us a little known fact about you: I was suppose to be a twin, but my twin died in utero early on in the pregnancy and I “absorbed” her. I think this clearly makes me the “evil twin”.
2. What was your favorite genre to read growing up? Is this the genre you currently write in?
Horror, Horror Fantasy, and Horror with elements of Erotica have always been my favorite
genres to read. I was reading stuff like Clive Barker’s Imajica and Thomas Harris’ Silence of
the Lambs in middle school, while other girls my age were reading Sweet Vally High. It was
probably highly inappropriate, but back then parents weren’t as uptight about the content their
children were exposed to. I don’t think most of them, mine included, were even aware. Now,
oddly enough, that I’m older I enjoy a good Young Adult novel. This genre has come a long
ways since the Sweet Vally High days.


3. What inspires you to write? Everything and nothing. I never know what’s going to inspire me.
It might be a song lyric, something I read or hear in a podcast or on a radio program–I consume
a lot of literature and other media about the paranormal and demonology and these things are
a constant theme in my work–or it could be some off hand comment or joke I or someone else
makes that gets me going down a certain path. Sometimes the inspiration seems to come from
no where at all, an idea will just pop fully formed into my head with no connection to anything
in the real world. I never know where or when inspiration is going to strike.


4. What sort of atmosphere do you need to write? I have no particular atmosphere that works for
me. I’m writing this early in the evening while my daughter takes a shower in the bathroom
next door to my room. I can hear the water and her singing, as I type this. She is as tone deaf
as I am, I’m afraid. I tend to do a lot of my writing at night or in the early evening, when the
house is relatively still, sometimes in silence, sometimes with a podcast or DVD playing in the
background. Other times I write in the early morning. My only real hang up is I don’t like to
be interrupted. It’s sometimes hard for me to get back into the “writing groove” once I’ve been
distracted and brought out of it by a phone call or someone popping their head into the room
to ask me a question. Other times I can jump right back in. I guess, it just depends...on what, I
don’t know.


5. What is your all time favorite book? Galilee by Clive Barker. It’s a story about highly sexually
charged godlike beings living in the swamplands of North Carolina, who engage in all manner
of biracial loving. What’s not to like?


6. Who is your all time favorite character that is not your own? Pie 'oh’ Pah from Clive Barker’s
Imajica. Pie is the ultimate hermaphrodite character, which is a concept or a “condition” that
has always intrigued me. A completely third gender, Pie has the ability to appear however
people most wish hir to appear, a skill that comes in handed to a killer for hire.


7. Who is your favorite character of your own creation? That’s a tough one. It would have to
be one of the characters from my forthcoming series The Chronicles of the Infernal Empire,
but which of them is my favorite changes depending on mood and what part of the series I’m
currently working on. It is truly quite the cast of characters and so I have no single name to give
you...but if Belial asks, say that I told you it was him.


8. When did you decide to become a writer? At the same time I decided to be bisexual, meaning I
didn’t. Writing is something I’ve always done and so a writer I have always been. Even when
I was really little use jot down these short stories about me and my dog going on these strange
Alice in Wonderland type adventures. That progressed into poetry, in high school, and then
again later to more short fiction. I really can’t imagine myself not writing, even if it were just to
blog about my life and world views.


9. Where are you from? I grew up on a farm in a small town called Falkland, just outside of
Greenville, North Carolina.


10. Why do you write? I don’t know what else to do with my free time and I hate pop culture. No
seriously, I haven’t regularly watched television or gone to a theater to see a movie in years.
These kinds of things just don’t interest me. Leave me alone with a good podcast or book, some
snacks, and a my laptop and I’m perfectly happy.


11. What’s the best piece of writing advice you have ever been given? Shut the fuck up and
write...and, yes, it has to be stated, just that bluntly and with out any *’s or #’s used to take the
“offense” out. People need to be offended. People need to be shaken out of this mental space
where they think life is suppose to be kind and only really rude and cruel people are going to
be anything less than carrying or unconcerned about their feelings. That’s not the real world.
That’s not the nature of the publishing industry. The publishing industry doesn’t give a fuck
about you. It doesn’t give a fuck about me. All the publishing industry, and readers, care about
is the end product, the writing. If you can write, then write. Talking about writing or talking
about the industry is ultimately meaningless. Do some research, pick which direction you want
to go in–self-publishing, small press, seeking out agents and traditional publisher–and go for it.
Devote all the energy you can to pursuing that end and just fucking write.


12. What’s the worst thing someone has ever said about your work? I, honestly, don’t remember.
I’ve had people throws some nasty comments my way over the years, but mostly they’ve had
to do with the method or publication I was published through or me as a person and not the
content of my writing. I think my “luck” in this area might be due to the fact that I don’t spend
a lot of time on forums and I don’t put a lot of my writing out there for free public consumption.
I have a handful of friends, who for the most part are also writers, who I run things by, if I’m in
doubt about its quality in some way. Some of these same friends help me with light editing and
I do the same for them, but it’s all done privately. You’ll never see me posting a short story or
article on a forum asking for opinions or critique. It’s just not something I do. I send things out
for publication and when I publish I, of course, open myself up for review, but for the most part
the response as been constructive and positive.


13. Has your writing ever been compared to another, famous author? If so, who? I’ve been
compared by some people online to Oscar Wilde, which is a huge complement to me
personally. I absolutely love the work and style of Wilde as well as respect him as a historical
figure...but, alas, I don’t feel my writing is “there yet” and this is of overinflated flattery, but
who am I to argue with my public?


14.Real books or eReader? Both, we need to kill the idea of this being an either/or situation. I own
and read both and I’m sick of hearing people, who are often ill-informed about how the technology
works, spout non-sense about e-readers and e-books not being as good as “real books” or how e-books
are devaluing the art of writing and literature. This is the same sort of silliness that surrounded the
advent of the printing press. People believed it too would devalue the art of literature by making it too
common place and “disposable”. They saw little value in a book that could be printed and bound in a
matter of minutes, just as many people today claim there is no value in a book that can be downloaded
in a matter of seconds. Both arguments are hogwash. The value of the book lies in the content, not the
publishing method or how it smells or the weight of it in your hand. If a person enjoys to read, truly
enjoys to read, then it should matter very little to them the format the book comes in...but like with the
printing press, people have to get accustom to the technology. Give it a few generations and no one will
understand what the issue ever was with e-books.


Links:

Website: www.hydramstar.com

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hydra-M.-Star/e/B00A72B2V2

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hydra-M-Star/173048706040944

Twitter: @hydramstar

Tumblr: http://hydramstar.tumblr.com/

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5837889.Hydra_M_Star

CafePress: http://www.cafepress.com/hydraanddavelsnefariouswares

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/hydramstar/m.html

DeviantART: http://hydramstar.deviantart.com/

Infernal Ink Magazine (submission guidelines and purchase links): http://hydramstar.com/
Infernal_Ink.html

No comments:

Post a Comment